Saturday, February 1, 2014

Free Write (babble) on Columbus

Christopher Columbus Free-Write
By: Natalie Partna
My thoughts and feelings of Columbus are; he was a jerk, he was mean, he was selfish, he lied a lot, he wasn’t very bright, and I wouldn’t want to be his friend.
But my other opinions on him was; kudos for trying to get to India, I liked how he didn’t care that people thought he was crazy, he had probably been through a lot in his time. You were decently patient having to be on a ship for a long time.
I at first totally abandoned my belief of everyone being wise and smart in their own way when I read that he would subjugate all these people to being slaves when they were so willing to help, were resourceful, and great allies. But I don’t really have a right to judge do I? I tend to judge people but I try not to.
Two things that stuck out to me was, he caused genocide, and that is a big, powerful, sad, emotional thing. The second thing that stuck out to me was, Columbus thought that people who trusted easily and shared things and offered things were stupid, he could have accepted their gifts of kindness not take them all as slaves and kill their people off.
I learned that Columbus did NOT in fact discover America. It was the carribeans. Also I learned that Columbus caused genocide, that’s a horrible thing to do. He wasn’t a very nice guy.
The college version is important to read and understand because it holds more truth than the elementary school one. I also think that they are both equally useful. I think the elementary one should hold more truth though, and a little bit more detailed and story like, not pictures and sentences.
The human casualties did bring us to where we are now in some way. I don’t know how, nor do I think I ever will. I also don’t know what went on back then in full detail. I wasn’t there. I also haven’t been in Columbus’s head, so for all I know, he could be a guy who made bad choices here and there, but was always trying to be good. But also a little selfish. I don’t try to regret what happens in the past, I try to understand the best I can and learn from that experience and move forward. So I believe it was necessary for this world. It brought us to where we are now. Though I wish I knew more about the people that died.
I also don’t know if we’d be here if those people never died. I never will, so I try to accept that, understand that the best I can and move on. So, I think we may or may not, but in my opinion, it doesn’t matter. Their deaths do, their story does, but trying to imagine what would happen if they never died, it isn’t going to change anything, so, I don’t know, and I personally don’t care if we would or wouldn’t be. We are where we are when we are and we should be thankful and thoughtful that we are alive, and that they aren’t. Just another thing to be thankful for on thanksgiving. We are ALIVE. That’s all that matters... to me anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment